We often talk about our foreign enemies but rarely talk about our domestic ones. In older history, we talked about nations that were our enemies, like Germany and Japan, but recently we began speaking of ideology as our enemy. Russians were not our enemy but Communism was/is and, by extension, the Soviet government was our enemy. Sen. Joe McCarthy clearly went after Communists within our government. Others went after Communists outside our government, as in the famous blacklisting of Hollywood actors and directors.
Today we further define ideologies into certain types. For example, we speak of fundamentalist Islam as our enemy but not religious Islam nor Arabs. We don’t talk about Iran as our enemy either but certainly we think that the extremist religious order of Iran is our enemy.
Bringing this a little closer to home, who are our domestic enemies? The Constitution has the President swear as follows:
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
As you can see, the President does not swear allegiance to anything, or anyone, other than the Constitution. Unfortunately, the current President, this alleged constitutional scholar, does not uphold the Constitution at all.
In another area, the military oath of enlistment extracts allegiance to the Constitution and to the President and superior officers along with affirmation of the UCMJ.
“I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”
There is no allegiance to America or its principles within the professional duties of serving America. As citizens though, we pledge allegiance to the flag- that symbol of all that is America- and to the form of government that we live under.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Which brings me to my point about domestic enemies. Domestic enemies would encompass those who do not support the Constitution in word or deed, who do not bear true allegiance to same, who do not support our form of government, and/or do not support liberty and justice for all.
The major domestic enemies then become:
1. Any President who asserts authority not granted by the Constitution.
2. Any Congress that asserts authority not granted by the Constitution.
3. Any Supreme Court that ignores the rights of individual or collective states (or persons) and establishes more authority for Congress and the President than plainly expressed in the Constitution.
4. Federal and local law enforcement that commit unconstitutional and illegal acts while performing their duties.
5. People and organizations seeking to use the force of law over others for what they cannot achieve themselves by argument.
I think that are also a series of other influences that unwind the fabric of America although these factors may not be oath-recognized enemies:
6. Political parties that seek to raid the National Treasury instead of preserving it.
7. An educational system that prefers advancing underachievers rather than developing excellence.
8. Groups and organizations that promote social justice first, with personal responsibility and freedom second.
9. News media that proselytize to stir emotions instead of promoting understanding.
10. Those who do not recognize that just societies, economic societies, and healthy societies are fundamentally based upon spiritual qualities: honesty, truth, integrity, self-discipline, love of oneself, respect for others, and acceptance of the immutable goodness and evilness existing within the body of mankind.
There is no congressionally declared war on America’s domestic enemies although America is consistently attacked and that is as it should be. But somehow, Americans should recognize that America is under attack and militiamen should come to her defense. Where is the George Washington of today to lead the militia to fight the domestic enemies of America?
A militia, not of weapons but of wisdom and tactics. A militia that marches not on its feet but on its principles of liberty and justice for all. A well-regulated militia, necessary to the security of a free state, that possesses an oath of allegiance to the Constitution and to the Republic, would have value today.
Where is such a militia?