Here are my early take-a-ways on impeachment proceedings:
I watched a little of the trial at lunch and the Republicans are following the same strategies they always do:
1) Can we show that Democrats are hypocrites? Say one thing and do another? If so, then people in glass houses should not throw stones and no one should listen to the Democrats.
2) Can we show that Democrats do the same as us? Then our Republican Strategy is “What about-ism?” “Why didn’t Democrats do this to their people? If they didn’t, then this is just political theater.”
3) “We will just deny, deny, deny that Republicans did this and that Democrats cheated and made this up.”
Those are the three approaches the Republicans use and they are very good at it. It gins up their base and undermines any argument that Democrats believe in equality for Republicans.
The Democrats’ strategy is:
1) The Appalled Offense: make it sound worse than it really was and express a sense of how appalled everyone is.
2) Craft a long litany of Republican behaviors to show this has been going on a long time and nobody held Republicans accountable until now.
3) Craft a story of approaching doom if nothing is done to curb the Republican problem in front of everyone’s nose.
The Dems are just as good by getting their base to shake their heads and cluck their tongue about Republican behavior that will never, ever be held accountable.
Did you see anything that I missed?