I don’t know if there is hope for the Republican Party anymore. I’d like to see the old Republican Party back but these Trumpians are getting all the attention in the *cough* Conservative news media. I prefer the traditional Republicans.
The Trumpians can tell more lies and half-truths in a shorter time than anyone can rebut. And they tell these lies with such breathless incredulity that you think there might actually be something offensive about the topic.
Here’s a good example of Trumpian propaganda expressed with disdain and incredulity:
So let me unpack some of the lies and untruths expressed by Senator Backburn. Caution: It will take you longer to read what I wrote than to watch the video.
Of the 42 Executive Orders (which is a lot!) signed by Biden, 13 of those reversed Executive Orders issued by former President Trump. You can see the list here if you like: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/politics/biden-executive-orders/index.html
By category, there were 14 Executive Orders about the COVID virus and only one of them reversed a Trump Exec Order. (You know the one. The one in which President Trump quit the WHO organization.) The other 13 were actions related to developing and managing a cogent COVID plan for the country. If former President Trump has done this those 14 orders, Biden COVID actions would not have been necessary. And an additional two Exec orders were about opening healthcare enrollment for another month for people who might need it.
Five Exec Orders were about the COVID Economy and Stimulus and Housing actions.
Five were about the Environment to put America back on a scientific footing again.
Categorized as Equity, there were six Exec Orders to ensure equitable treatment by the US government for ethnicity and gender. None of them were about blacks in America. Not preferential treatment for anyone but equitable treatment towards everyone. Republicans only recognize male and female sexual organs as gender and they do not recognize the role of the brain in determining gender identity. But then, they don’t feel good about science when it conflicts with their established beliefs. This is why they are Conservatives by nature. It’s in their DNA to be Conservative (though they don’t know it) plus they think liberals are perverted when in reality liberals just have liberal genes. This is why they are liberals. It’s in their DNA.
Five Exec Orders were about immigration and three of them reversed former President Trumps Executive Orders.
One Exec Order dealt with the Census. Trump didn’t want to count illegals in the census. When you know that federal dollars and support are allocated for human needs like food, shelter, and clothing, you can see that by NOT counting illegal aliens, federal support would not have supported the demand for human services. If you don’t care about human beings who are not Americans, then you are just fine with human misery other than your own.
And one Exec Order dealt with recognizing the independence of the Department of Justice.
Knowing this, is 42 an excessive amount? Yes. Was it justified? I think so. The ship of state was headed for a reef and only a sharp LEFT rudder could avoid the damage that Trump was doing.
So let’s see what Senator Washburn alleges:
- “Giving favors to China by restricting our freedoms”- What freedoms were restricted by these Exec Orders? None. No evidence that OUR freedoms (yours and mine) have been restricted and NONE of these dealt with China at all. Even the pipeline project is about delivering CANADIAN OIL to US refineries. Has nothing to do with China at all. I am also sure that CHINA does not benefit from America’s freedom from COVID or the Stimulus plan for American businesses and citizens.
- “Joe the job killer”- As I said on my FB page, NONE of the existing permits have been cancelled. Future jobs in building the pipeline are at risk by President’s actions. The pipeline is already built from the American border to Steele City, Nebraska where the oil will be transferred to more existing oil pipelines. What you need to know is that there is already a Keystone Pipeline in place that avoids the Ogallala aquifer. (https://ohiostate.pressbooks.pub/app/uploads/sites/12/2016/07/Figure-3-1_es-2012-03238z_0002.jpg) The XL Keystone pipeline is Phase 4 creates a short cut to go over/through the aquifer. The first three phases ALREADY deliver Canadian oil to US refineries all the way down to Texas. Yes, there are environmental concerns about fouling the Ogallala aquifer. Of course,this isn’t the first oil pipeline in the US. You are welcome to read the list of gas and of oil pipeline accidents and analyze it for risks to the environment. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents) Until I wrote this paragraph, I never knew there was an existing pipeline in place AND that this was merely a short cut to pump more oil into the US than they already do. It appears there is no need for a second pipeline. So now I am opposed to the XL pipeline that I once supported. And it appears that Senator Blackburn should be aware that the refineries in Texas have plenty of Canadian oil to crack already. So it appears to me that if MORE capacity is needed, that a second parallel pipeline to the first is the appropriate thing to do. A renewal of permits should be easier to obtain, yes?
- Climate change and the Paris Accords- It is likely you understand that turning raw materials into finished product pumps toxic fumes and debris into the air. Most of the legislation to date has involved adding scrubbers to smoke stacks and using cleaner fuels in the production process. The Paris accords simply has countries agree to a reduction of toxins emitted into the air. Every country can set their own targets. Every country reports their efforts. Whether you support the Paris accords depends upon how much you like fresh air and hate acid rain. It really is that simple. If you don’t care about fresh air for the planet, then you are against it. If you think no one should do anything about it, then you are against it. If you think we are stewards of the earth, you support it. If you leave no trace when you camp, then you likely support the Paris Accords. If you leave your campsite a mess for someone else to clean up, you are likely opposed to the Paris Accords.
- “Raising the minimum wage to $15/hr”- This is complicated but who among you has ever turned down a wage increase? Not me. And yet, a direct result of wage increase is a) an increase in consumer prices or b) a reduction of employees. This is a terrible thing to do and yet Democrats can’t see the nose on their face. Raising wages will reduce both the number of jobs and the workers. Giving people a bigger piece of an ever-shrinking labor pie is no help at all. You can kiss retail jobs goodbye. Automated checkout and employee-less shopping is the future. This is a terrible Democrat idea.
- “affected 1 million jobs”- I have no clue how she came up with that number. She pulled it from someplace. I’d like to think someone did an analysis but she doesn’t say.
- “Opening the borders to drug cartels, to Labor gangs, to human traffickers, to sex traffickers, …you’ve got that crude up in Canada that is headed for China and sold back to the US…” WOW! That’s some serious allegations! Does anyone believe that BB (Before Biden) the borders were closed and drug cartels, etc, were stymied in how to get drugs into the US? I am not sure what a Labor gang is and I think there are plenty of trffickers already in the US. BUT it appears the Exec Orders about Muslims, immigration enforcement, children, and stopping a border wall NOT approved by Congress has something to do with criminal behavior that none of us know anything about. Besides, that is a fence and it is NOT a wall.
- And Driver Licenses issued by states to ensure people know how to drive a car are somehow a problem. Do you get in a huff when you hear that foreign nationals can get a regular valid US License? No state requires, let me re-state this, NO COUNTRY in the world requires that holders of a driver license must be a citizen. “Under current American law, all you need in order to drive in the U.S. is a valid driving license issued by your country if you will be in the U.S. for a maximum of 3 months. A foreign license to drive in the United States will be considered valid in 49 states, except for Georgia, which requires a US driver’s license for foreigners, known as an International Driving Permit (IDP). In every other state, your foreign driver’s license, together with your biometric passport for the U.S., are sufficient documentation for you to rent a car or in case you are stopped by the police.” So that means that as long as Mexicans, Guatemalans, Costa Ricans, Nicaraugans, Belizians, El Slavadorans, Hondurans, and Panamians have a valid Driver License from their country, they can drive legally in the US in 49 states. If they are staying longer than three months they must obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) and keep their country driver license active. So to summarize, only illegal aliens with invalid driver licenses in their home country are impacted by this driver license issue AND only the honest working illegal immigrants are punished if they can’t get one. Every one else will simply drive without a license. This includes the drug cartels, the Labor gangs, the human and sex traffickers mentioned earlier. Just like criminals don’t get gun permits, criminals don’t get licenses either.
So now you see the problem with lies and half-truths told by right-wing spokespeople. They are megaphones of propaganda to restrict/inhibit everyone, anyone, who is not like them. They spew their viewpoints and twist things up so you are offended by their target. In this case, the target is President Biden. And you are offended not by the truth of things, but you empathize with her “feelings” about being offended. You feel compassion for the injustice that she experiences because you also have had to face injustice that you could not overcome. That is the message presented to you and that is the message you absorbed.
By the way, only 15 states issue driver licenses specifically to illegal immigrants: “Fifteen states and the District of Columbia have enacted laws to allow unauthorized immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses. These states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Utah, Vermont and Washington—issue a license if an applicant provides certain documentation, such as a foreign birth certificate, foreign passport, or consular card and evidence of current residency in the state.”